Each protocol has its own method of how data is formatted when sent and what to do with it once received, how that data is compressed, or how to check for errors in the data.
Likely the most important protocol is TCP/IP (transmission control protocol/Internet protocol) which is used to govern the communications of every computer connected to the Internet.
HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol), which is used to transmit data over the world wide web (Internet), is “carried” by TCP/IP. Below is a list of the various protocols currently listed in the Computer Hope dictionary?
Network protocols incorporate all the processes, requirements and constraints of initiating and accomplishing communication between computers, servers, routers and other network-enabled devices.
Network protocols must be confirmed and installed by the sender and receiver to ensure network/data communication and apply to software and hardware nodes that communicate on a network.
There are several broad types of networking protocols, including:
- Network communication protocols: Basic data communication protocols, such as TCP/IP and HTTP.
- Network security protocols: Implement security over network communications and include HTTPS, SSL, and SFTP.
- Network management protocols: Provide network governance and maintenance and include SNMP and ICMP.
- Protocols’ are developed by industry-wide organizations. All data of protocols are stored in binary information. Protocol language is a mixture of bits, characters, integers, etc.
- Each of them has its own access method of exchanging data over a computer network, such as LAN, Internet, Intranet, etc.
- One of the most common and known protocol examples is HTTP, which is used over the world wide web. there are different protocols used on the internet that are
- 1. TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol)
2. ARP (Address Resolution Protocol)
3. DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)
4. DNS (Domain Name System)
5. FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
- HTTP is an application-layer protocol that is used for transferring files on the internet. It is used by web browsers and servers use to communicate.
There are different types of protocols and different uses of the protocol.
Types of Protocols
A protocol technologies is required for communication between computers. To connect different types of computers from a variety of computer vendors, protocols must be first standardized.
The ARPA (Advanced Research Project Agency) part of the US Defense program was the first to introduce the concept of a standardized protocol. ARPA is a resource-sharing network connecting different computers at universities and laboratories in the US.
The concept of the protocol and its layer structure emerged from the ARPA network. ARPA developed an integrated network using packet protocol and is also renowned for its development of packet switching.
Transmission control protocol is used for communication over a network. In TCP data is broken down into small packets and then sent to the destination. However, IP is making sure packets are transmitted to the right address.