A preposition is a word used with a noun or a pronoun to show how the person or thing denotes by the noun or pronoun stands in relation to something else.
Prepositions can have different functions in a sentences
It indicates time, place, purpose, direction, movement, means/ instrumentality, concession, comparison, source and manner. Look at the following sentences where the prepositions have these functions.
- Sudha sits between Saroj and Usman. (Position)
- Vijay went from Kanpur to Ahmedabad. (Movement and direction)
- Father returned at 6 o’clock. (Time)
- The road is blocked because of the wedding procession. (Reason)
- We went to the market for vegetable. (Purpose)
- Jaya cuts the lemon with a knife. (Instrument)
- Let’s go to Mumbai by bus. (means or transportation)
- In spite of the heat, the children are playing outdoors. (Concession)
- She sings like a Koel. (Comparison)
- Leela does all her homework with great care.
- They fetched water from the river. (Source)
Fill in the blanks in the following sentences with suitable prepositions.
- The bag is on the top rack of the cupboard.
- They are sorry for having disturbed you.
- The woman in the car is my neighbour.
- Did you read the article on the applications of biotechnology.
- Sikha spent a day with her aunt at Begempet in Hyderabad.
- The baby slept peacefully despite the telephone rang.
- Inspite of/despite the bandh, people went out to work.
- Rini was angry with Simon and spoke harshly to hm.
- The building is deserted by pigeons and mice.
- His clients are happy with Mani’s work.
Correct errors in the use of prepositions in the following sentences.
1. Among the two sisters, Habiba is the better dancer.
Answer – Between the two sisters, Habiba is the better dancer.
Of the two sisters, Habiba is the better dancer.
2. They left in midnight to their village.
Answer – They left at midnight for their village.
3. Manu has been living at Dubai since ten years.
Answer – Manu has been living in Dubai for ten years.
4. The shop is under my flat.
Answer – The shop is below my flat.
5. The girls sat down besides the lake.
Answer – The girls sat down beside the lake.
6. There is a reference of the drug in page 33 on chapter 6.
Answer – There is a reference of the drug on page 33 in chapter 6.
7. We insisted to going out for a walk.
Answer – We insisted on going out for a walk.
8. Don’t interfere with my affairs.
Answer – Don’t interfere in my affairs.
9. He was in great need for affection.
Answer – He was in great need of affection.
10. I am surprised over the slow pace of life here.
Answer – I am surprised at the slow pace of life here.