What are polymers ?
Polymers are high molecular mass substances consisting of large number of repeating structural units. They are also called as macromolecules. Some examples of polymers are polythene, bakelite, rubber, nylon 6, 6 etc.
How are polymers classified on the basis of structure?
On the basis of structure, the polymers are classified as below :
- Linear polymers such as polythene, polyvinyl chloride, etc.
- Branched chain polymers such as low density polythene.
- Cross linked polymers such as bakelite, melamine, etc.
Write the names of monomers of the following polymers :
- Hexamethylene diamine and adipic acid
Classify the following as addition and condensation polymers : Terylene, Bakelite, Polyvinyl chloride, Polythene.
Addition polymers : Polyvinyl chloride, Polythene.
Condensation polymer : Terylene, Bakelite.
Explain the difference between Buna-N and Buna-S.
Buna-N is a copolymer of 1, 3-butadiene and acrylonitrile and Buna-S is a copolymer of 1, 3-butadiene and styrene.
Arrange the following polymers in increasing order of their intermolecular forces.
- Nylon 6,6, Buna-S, Polythene
- Nylon 6, Neoprene, Polyvinyl chloride.
The increasing order of intermolecular forces is :
- Buna-S, Polythene, Nylon 6, 6
- Neoprene, Polyvinyl chloride, Nylon 6.