Page No: 199
Pepper (Kaali Mirch)
1. Now try and make your own riddles about two other spices. Ask those riddles in your class. Draw pictures of the two spices in your notebook and write their names.
1) I spread my fragrance far and wide. I love exotic dishes like biryani. I give yellow colour to the dish I look like fine hairs. Tell me who am I?
2) Saffron I look like the bark of a tree. I come in shape of small sticks I am used in dishes for my fragrance I am also used in chocolates, candies and chewing gums. I am chocolaty brown. Tell me who am I.
2. Find out which spices are used in your house for cooking. Make a list and look at your friends’ lists too.
Pepper, turmeric, garlic, cumin, basil are the spices used in my house for cooking. Spices used in my friend’s house for cooking – turmeric, ginger, saffron, pepper.
3. When your grandparents were young, which spices were used most in their kitchens? Find out from them and write here.
The spices used were red chilli, coriander, onion, turmeric etc
4. Name one spice which is put into both sweet and salty things. Find out what is put into food to make it taste sour.
Cardamon (Elaichi) is one spice which is put into both sweet and salty things. Vineger is put into food to make it taste sour.
I am Kuttan. I live in Kerala. There is a garden of spices in the backyard of my house. There I see plants of tejpatta, small and big cardamoms and black pepper grow.
1. Find out whether any spices are grown in your area. Write their names here.
The spices grown in my area are chilli, turmeric, ginger and garlic.
2. Bring some whole spices to class. Write their names in the table. Close your eyes and try to recognise each spice by smelling and touching each one in turn. Put a (P) mark in front of the ones you recognise. If you do not recognise any, put a (Í) mark.
Let us try making a spicy potato chaat!
1. Did you enjoy the potato chaat?
Yes, I enjoyed the potato chaat.
2. Just imagine, if there were no spices to make the potato chaat, how would it taste?
The taste would be not that great if no spices were added.
3. How do spice-less and very spicy things feel on your tongue?
Spice-less things gives no sensation on my tongue whereas spicy things give tingling sensation on my tongue.