Ear to ear
Page No: 11
Who has got my ears?
1. Are these animals looking funny? The artist has drawn wrong ears on the heads of the animals. Give correct ears to the animals in the space given below.
2. Different animals have different kinds of ears. Among the animals given below, which one have ears that you can see? In which animal can you not see the ears? Write in the table below.
|Animals with ears that we can see||Animals with ears that we cannot see|
3. Do you think that the animals whose ears we can not see, really do not have ears?
No, they have ears but they are hidden.
Let us obverse this picture
1. Name the animals in the picture
Duck, parrot, frog, sparrow, hen and crow.
2. Can you see their ear?
No, we cannot see their ears.
3. Find out some other animals which have ears that we cannot see. Write their names.
Swan, fish, fly, mosquito, crocodile, etc..
Read and Write
1. An animal with ears like fans
2. An animal with ears like leaves
3. An animal with ears on the top of its head
4. An animal with ears on both side of its head
1. Now you know how to recognise animals by their ears. Let us see if we can recognise animals by their skin. Match the animals shown here with the pictures of their skin. Make the correct pattern of the skin on the picture of each animal.
2. You might have seen some of the animals given below.
Put the names of the animals in the table below.
|Ears can be seen||Has hair on skin||Ears cannot be seen||Has feathers on skin|
3. In which list did you put the cow and the buffalo? From a distance, can you see the hair on their skin? Try to go near one of them. Could you see the hair?
Cow and buffalo was put in the list: animals with hair on their body and whose ears can be seen. From a distance their hair cannot be seen. After going near one of them, their hair on the skin can be seen.
4. If you were to meet an elephant, would you dare to touch it? Do you know that an elephant also has hair on its skin?
I would not dare to touch an elephant if I were to meet one. Yes, I know that an elephant also has hair on its skin.
Can you tell which of the animals mentioned in the list lay eggs? Find out and write the names of these animals in the green box. Which of the animals in the list give birth to babies? Write their names in the red box.
|Animals that lay eggs (Green box)||Animals that give birth to babies (Red box)|
1. Have you seen animals around your house or school that have small babies? Write their names in your notebook.
Dog, pig, cow, cat, rat etc.
2. Have you ever kept a pet? Does anyone you know keep a pet?
Yes, I have a pet dog. Yes, I know some people who keep a pet.
3. Find out more about the pet.
(a) Which animal is it?
It’s a dog.
(b) Does it have a name? What is it?
Yes, it has a name and it’s called Scooby.
(c) Who gave it this name?
The name was given by my parents and me.
(d) What does it like to eat?
It likes to eat rice, bread, meat and biscuits.
(e) How many times a day is it given food?
We give food thrice a day.
(f) When does it sleep? For how long does it sleep?
It usually sleeps during the day for about 5 to 6 hours.
(g) Is there any special way to look after this animal? How?
We clean and bathe the dog regularly.
(h) Does it get angry? When? How do you know it is angry?
Yes, it gets angry when it sees someone unknown. When it getting angry it starts barking loudly.
(i) Does it have hair or feathers on its skin?
It has hair in its skin.
(j) Can you see its ears?
Yes, I can see its ears.
(k) Is it a baby or a young animal or a full grown animal?
It’s a young animal.
(l) Will this pet animal lay eggs or give birth to babies?
A dog gives birth to babies.
(m) Does it have young ones?
1. Look at this picture. Colour the parts which have even numbers (2, 4, 6, 8…). What do you see? Find out the name of the animal.
It’s a dinosaurs.
2. Have you seen any animal that looks a little like dinosaur? Do you know its name?
Yes, I have seen an animal that looks like dinosaur. It’s called a lizard.
1. Look at this animal. Write its name. Do you know that this is our National Animal?
It’s called a tiger. Yes, I know that tiger is our national animal.
2. Where does it live?
It lives in thick wild forests, grasslands etc.
3. The numbers of this animal are going down in India. Discuss why this could be happening.
Do your itself .