Transportation in Animals and Plants
Match structures given in Column I with functions given in Column II.
|Column I||Column II|
(iii) Root hairs
|(a) Absorption of water|
(c) Transport of food
(d) Transport of water
Fill in the blanks.
- The blood from the heart is transported to all parts of the body by the ………. .
- Haemoglobin is present in ………. cells.
- Arteries and veins are joined by a network of ………. .
- The rhythmic expansion and contraction of the heart is called ………. .
- The main excretory product in human beings is ………. .
- Sweat contains water and ………. .
- Kidneys eliminate the waste materials in the liquid form called ………. .
- Water reaches great heights in the trees because of suction pull caused by ………. .
- red blood cells
Choose the correct option :
(a) In plants, water is transported through
(iv) Root hair
(b) Water absorption through roots can be increased by keeping the plants
(i) in the shade
(ii) in dim light
(iii) under the fan
(iv) covered with a polythene bag
(b)-(ii) in dim light.
Why is transport of materials necessary in a plant or in an animal? Explain.
Transport of materials is essential for plants or animals because nutrients and oxygen are made available to all the parts of the body through transpiration. If the transport of necessary nutrients and oxygen does not take place in the body, the body will not be able to survive.
What will happen if there are no platelets in the blood?
Blood cannot clot without the platelets. So, if there is any cut, blood will continue to flow out and ultimately the person die.
What are stomata? Give two functions of stomata.
Small pores in leaves of plants are called stomata. Functions of stomata are :
- absorption of oxygen from air.
- removal of excess water by transpiration.
Does transpiration serve any useful function in the plants? Explain?
Due to transpiration, a suction pressure develops which helps in transportation of water.
What are the components of blood?
Red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets and plasma.
Why is blood needed by all the parts of a body?
Blood carries digested food and oxygen to all parts of body. It also carries away the waste products.
What makes the blood look red?
The presence of haemoglobin.
Describe the function of the heart.
Heart collects and distributes purified blood to all parts of the body through arteries.
Why is it necessary to excrete waste products?
Waste products are harmful for the body.
Draw a diagram of the human excretory system and label the various parts.