Life in the Temperate Grasslands
Text Book Page No. 68
Some type of grass grows on almost every surface of the earth. List names of places where you have observed grass growing, e.g., lawns, cricket field, between cracks of a side walk etc.
Road side, ground, grazing lands, farms.
Velds lie in the Southern hemisphere. When it is summers in velds, what season would it be in the prairies ?
When it is summers in velds, it would be winters in the prairies.
Exercise Questions and Answers
Answer the following questions :
(1) What are the Temperate Grasslands of North America called?
(2) What are the cattle farms in the North American grasslands known as?
(3) Name the rivers that drain the velds.
(a) River Orange
(b) River Limpopo
(4) When is the rainy season in the velds?
The velds receive rainfall mainly in summer months from November to February.
(5) What is the major occupation of the people of the South African grass¬lands?
- Sheep rearing
- Dairy farming
Tick the correct answer :
(1) River Mississippi drains
(2) Drakensberg Mountains bound the
(3) Merino is a species of
(4) Kimberley is famous for
Match the following.
|Cowboys||Iron and steel|
|Coal||Iron and steel|
(1) The Prairies are known as the ‘Granaries of the world’.
Due to the huge surplus of wheat production.
(2) Rise of wool industry in the velds. Ans. Good variety of sheep (merino) is found here whose wool is very warm.
Good variety of sheep (merino) is found here whose wool is very warm.
On an outline map of North America, mark the Rocky mountains, the Great lakes, river Mississippi, river Saskatchewan, the cities Chicago and Winnipeg.