Human Environment : Settlement, Transport and Communication
Text Book Page No. 49
Where do you find dwellings made of ice? Who makes them and what are they called?
Dwellings made of ice are found in polar regions. Eskimos make them and they are called igloos.
Text Book Page No. 49
Things To Do
List the different modes of transport used by the students of your class while coming to school.
Transport used by the students of our class while coming to school :
- School bus
Text Book Page No. 52
Find out the names of some newspapers and TV news channels in English, Hindi and a regional language.
English Newspapers :
- The Times of India
- Hindustan Times
- The Hindu
- The Economic
Times Hindi Newspapers :
- Garnik Jagran
- Punjab Kesri
- Navbharat Times
English News Channels :
- Times Now
- Headlines Today
Hindi News Channels :
- Aaj Tak
- Delhi Aaj Tak
- Total T.V.
- Zee News
Regional Language Channels :
- Vijay (Telugu)
- Surya (Malyalam)
- MH1 (Punjabi)
- ETC Punjabi (Punjabi)
- DD Bangla (Bengali)
Exercise Questions and Answers
Answer the following questions briefly:
What are the four means of transport?
What do you understand by the term ‘settlement’?
Settlements are places where people build their homes.
Which are the activities practiced by the rural people?
- Shifting cultivation
Mention any two merits of railways.
- Railways carry people over long distances quickly and cheaply.
- They also carry heavy goods or raw materials in bulk, transported from mines to industrial areas and from there to the market or ports.
What do you understand by communication?
Communication is the process of conveying messages to others.
What is mass media?
The modes of communication through which we can communicate with a large number of people, like newspaper, radio and television, are called mass media.
Tick the correct answer :
(1) Which is NOT a means of communication?
(2) Which type of road is constructed under the ground?
(3) Which mode of transport is most suitable to reach an island?
(4) Which vehicle does not pollute the environment?
Match the following :
|Internet||Areas where people are engaged in manufacturing trade and services|
|Canal route||Closely built area of houses|
|Urban areas||Inland waterway|
|Compact||A means of communication settlement|
|Internet||A means of communication settlement|
|Canal route||Inland waterway|
|Urban areas||Areas where people are engaged in manufacturing trade and services|
|Compact||Closely built area of houses|
Today’s world is shrinking.
Because the various modes of communication provide us worldwide information and interaction.
Conduct a survey in your locality and find out how people commute to their respective workplaces using
- More than two modes of transport
- More than three modes of transport
- Stays within walking distance
Students do themselves
Mention which mode of communication you will prefer most in the following situations :
(1) Your grandfather has suddenly fallen ill. How will you inform the doctor?
(2) Your mother wants to sell the old house. How will she spread this news?
(3) You are going to attend the marriage of your cousin for which you will be absent from the school for the next two day. How will you inform the teacher?
(4) Your friend has moved with his/ her family to New York. How will you keep in touch on a daily basis?