Text Book Page No. 81
Look at the two, advertisements shown on page 81 of the textbook and fill the table.
|Top Taste Daal||Care Soap|
|What are the- advertisements selling ?||Pulse||Soap|
|How do they describe the product ?||Top Taste||Care soap|
|What is the text trying to say ?||Guests should be served this Hospitality of a host.||Children should be bathed with this|
|What do the pictures convey ?||Yes||Love of a mother|
|Would you want to buy these products after seeing the advertisement ?||Yes||Yes|
Do you think there is a problem r in using the image of the mother as the only person who takes care of the child in the Care Soap advertisement ?
- There is the mother at home who takes care of child’s feeding and cleanliness generally.
- She decides what soap her child should be bathed with. Her decisions are considered final regarding child’s care. This is the reason in using the image of the mother in the Care Soap advertisement.
Text Book Page No. 84
What does the advertisement shown on page 84 of the textbook want me to feel when I use this brand ?
The advertisements shown on page 84 of the textbook, want me to feel most delicious taste of Daal and love and care of mother when I eat the ‘Top Taste Daal’ and use the soap‘Show your child you care’
Who is this advertisement talking to and who is it leaving out ?
- This advertisement is talking to hosts for brand ‘Top Taste Daal’ and to the mother for soap’s brand show your child you care.
- It is leaving out the guest in the ‘Top Taste’ Daal’ and father in the soap’s brand.
If you have money to buy these products, how would you feel when you see these advertisements ? If you do not l have money, then how would you feel ?
- If I have money to buy these products, I would like to use once for trial these products on seeing these advertisements.
- If I do not have money, I would like to avoid these products by saying that there are a number of brands of the same products, so use that what are we using.
Text Book Page No. 88
Who do you think is the target audience for the social advertisements shown on page 88 of the textbook ?
The target audience for the social advertisement :
- ‘FREEDOM is our birthright too’ is disable children,
- ‘However faster you try, the train is always faster than you’ is the tractor and trolley’s people.
What is the message that each social advertisement is typing to get across ?
(1) The message in social advertisement “FREEDOM is our birthright too’ is that the disabled children should have also been given education as the normal children.
(2) The message in social advertisement about crossing of unmanned railway crossings is that the people who cross railway crossing be careful because train moves always faster than them.
Having read about dairrhoea epidemic in the chapter on State Government, can you make a social advertisement on what precautionary steps should be taken to prevent diarrhoea ?
DRINK clean water and EAT fresh food
- We should drink boiled and clean water.
- We should not eat raw food.
- We should eat fresh food.
- We should keep clean our houses and surrounding. BE Safe From Diarrhoea
Exercise Questions and Answers
What do you understand by the word brand ? List two reasons why building brands is central to advertising ?
(1) The word ‘brand’ is the particular name or sign given to a product made by a manufacturer. The brand is made to differentiate a particular product from others in the market.
(2) Advertising is the only means through which a brand can be popularised fastest and can reach to largest number of people. It is the advertising which influences people’s thought regarding a particular brand of product. These are the reasons why building brand is central to advertising.
Choose two of your favourite print advertisements. Now, look at each of these and answer the following questions :
(a) What visuals and text is being used in these advertisements to attract my attention ?
Advt : Rin Supreme
Visual : Two boys are shown in a very happy mood to attract my attention.
- Aaj Kee Achhhi Khabar
- Rin Superme Bar Ban Gaya Surf Exel Bar
Advt. : Britannia Good day Biscuit
Visual: A packet of Biscuit with some loose biscuits kept on foil.
Texts : Good Day Ki Shuruvat Homefoil Ke Saath
(b) What values are being promoted in these advertisements ?
- Cleanliness as value is being promoted in the advertisement of Rin Supreme
- Good Food value for the beginning of Good Day is being promoted in the advertisement of Britannia’s Good Day Biscuit.
(c) Who is this advertisement speaking to and who is it leaving out ?
(1) In Rin Supreme, the advertisement is speaking to the women specially mothers. It is leaving out fathers in particular and the young males.
(2) In Britannia Good Day Biscuit, the advertisement is speaking to all — children, young and olds. It is not specialising any category of people so it is not leaving out any one.
(d) If you could not afford the brand that is being advertisement how would you feel ?
If I wouldn’t afford the brand that is being advertised, I would feel that money is the only hurdle in between the Good Day Biscuits, Rin Supreme and me, otherwise I would have bought these.
Can you explain two ways in which you think advertising affects issues of equality in a democracy.
(1) Advertising for different products/ brands reaches to only those people who have the means of media either print or electronic.
But those, mainly poor, who don’t have these means, are not able to know about these products. Thus, equality between rich and poor in democracy is affected here. Because, in democracy all have the right to information.
(2) Advertising is focusing on only the lives of the rich and leaving the issues of poverty, discrimination and dignity aside. The issues avoided here are central to the functioning of equality in democracy.
Making an advertisement . requires a lot of creativity. Let us imagine a situation in which a manufacturer has just made a new watch. She says that she wants to sell this watch to school children. She comes to your class and asks you all to create a brand name as well as an advertisement for the watch. Divide the class into small groups and each group create an advertisement for this watch. Share it with the class.
[Hints : Space for the figure to be drawn by the students.]
Students do this question themselves.
[Hints : For their convenience, a sample of answer is given below.]
Class is divided into two groups :
- Brand name for watch —‘Time’
- Advertisement for watch—Time
- saves time — Be careful of Time’
- Brand name for watch — ‘Tinku’ .
- Advertisement for watch : Tinku cares for the time.