Make a list of the occupations of the people who lived within the Mauryan empire.
List of the occupations within Mauryan empire are:
Complete the following sentences:
(a) Officials collected _ from the area under the direct control of the ruler.
(b) Royal princes often went to the provinces as _
(c) The Mauryan rulers tried to control _ and which were important for transport.
(d) People in forested regions provided the Mauryan officials with __ _
(a) Officials collected tax from the area der the direct control of the ruler.
(b) Royal princes often went to the provinces as governor.
(c) The Mauryan rulers tried to control roads and rivers which were important for transport.
(d) People in forested regions provided the Mauryan officials with elephants, timber, honey and wax.
State whether true or false:
(a) Ujjain was the gateway to the north-west.
(b) Chandragupta’s ideas were written down in the Arthashastra.
(c) Kalinga was the ancient name of Bengal.
(d) MostAshokan inscriptions are in the Brahmi script.
(a) Ujjain was the gateway to the north-west. False
(b) Chandragupta’s ideas were written down in the Arthashastra. False
(c) Kalinga was the ancient name of Bengal. True
(d) Most Ashokan inscriptions are in the Brahmi script. True
What were the problems that Ashoka wanted to solve by introducing dhamma?
There were a number of problems that troubled Ashoka and he wanted to solve those problems. These were:
- People in the empire followed different religions, and this sometimes led to conflict.
- Animals were sacrificed.
- Slaves and servants were ill-treated.
- There were quarrels in families and amongst neighbours.
What were the means adopted by Ashoka to spread the message of dhamma?
The methods adopted to spread the message of dhamma were:
- Ashoka appointed officials, known as the dhamma mahamatta who went from place to place teaching people about dhamma.
- Ashoka got his messages inscribed on rocks and pillars, instructing his officials to read his message to those who could pot read it themselves.
- Ashoka also sent messengers to spread ideas about dhamma to other lands, such as Syria, Egypt, Greece and Sri Lanka.
Why do you think slaves and servants were ill-treated? Do you think the orders of the emperor would have improved their condition? Give reasons for your answer.
Mostly the slaves and servants were prisoners that is why they were ill-treated. Yes, orders of emperor would have improved the condition as he was the head of the state. He could issue law of punishment regarding this.