1. Fill in the blanks in the sentences with ‘a’, ‘an’ and ‘the’. Where more than one word is suitable, use the most appropriate one to complete the sentence.
If a blank space does not need any of the three words, indicate this with an ‘X’. a.
- The peacock is in danger of extinction.
- could you get me a kilogram of tea, please.
- There is a European an Eskimo among the tourists.
- The Sally I know lives in Bhubaneshwar.
- Sajita found a wallet on her way home. She took the wallet to the police station.
- We must work to save X tigers from becoming extinct.
- Have you had X breakfast?
- You must reach the school before 9 a.m.
- It is a beautiful sight to see the Brahmaputra in the rainy season.
- This is a painting of the Western Ghats, and that is a photograph of X Mahableshwar peak.
- Mary will go to X school when she is three.
- Our library has three copies of the Mahabharata.
2. Some of the sentences may have errors relating to the use of articles. Rewrite the sentence correctly.
1.The oranges and lemons are citrus fruits.
Answer: oranges and lemons are citrus fruits.
2. Asif is going to visit the Oxford University.
Answer: Asif is going to visit Oxford University.
3. The elephants and the lions are found in India.
Asnswer: Elephants and the lions are found in India.
4. Have you been to Nilgiri hills?
Answer – Have you been to X (No article) Nilgiri hills?
5. History is not really Lisa’s favorite subject, but she finds the history of the Greeks fascinating.
Answer – History is not really Lisa’s favorite subject, but she finds the history of Greeks fascinating.
6. You can take Mumbai Express to Pune.
Answer – You can take the Mumbai Express to Pune.
7. The children have been sent to the bed.
Answer – Children have been sent to the bed.
8. Gold you buy here is of excellent quality.
Answer – The Gold you buy here is of an excellent quality.
9. Manoj heard a old tale about an unicorn.
Answer – Manoj heard an old tale about a unicorn.
10. Philosophy discussed in this book is very difficult to understand.
Answer – The Philosophy discussed in this book is very difficult to understand.